Making Democracy Work

Election Information

How to register to vote? How to vote absentee? ...and more

The Ultimate Election Tool Find the facts about voting in Michigan at Vote 411 is a "one-stop-shop" for election related information. It provides nonpartisan information to the public with both general and Michigan -specific information. Before an election, find your polling place.

Register to Vote

Are you registered to vote? Do you want to change your party, your address, your name?

To register to vote in Michigan you must:

  • be a citizen of the United States

  • be 18 years old by the next election.

  • be a legal resident of the city or township in which you are applying to vote.

  • not be in jail after being convicted and sentenced.

Ways to register to vote in Michigan

  • In person at your Township, City or County Clerk's office

  • At a Secretary of State's office or the office of certain other state departments

  • By mail. A registration form can be downloaded from the Michigan Voter Center and returned to your Township, City or County Clerk's office. NOTE: A new registrant by mail may NOT receive an absent voter ballot for the next election unless 60 years of age or older, overseas, or handicapped. You must go to your Township or City Clerk's office to be allowed to vote by absent voter ballot in the next election.

For information on the web go to the Secretary of State's Michigan Voter Center

Voting Absentee

As a registered voter, you may obtain an absentee voter ballot if you are:

  • age 60 years old or older
  • unable to vote without assistance at the polls
  • expecting to be out of town on Election Day
  • in jail awaiting arraignment or trial
  • unable to attend the polls due to religious reasons
  • appointed to work as an election inspector in a precinct outside of your precinct of residence.

A person who registers to vote by mail must vote in person in the first election in which he or she participates. The restriction does not apply to overseas voters, voters who are handicapped or voters who are 60 years of age or older.

Your request for an absentee ballot must be in writing. You may use the online form available from the Secretary of State's website. Requesting an absentee ballot

Tips for College Students

Voting can often be a challenge for college students living away from home. If you are a student or a parent you may find this page Voting for College Students on the Michigan League website helpful.

Voter Photo ID Requirements


Voters can satisfy the picture identification requirement by showing a Michigan driver's license or a Michigan personal identification card. Voters who do not possess either document may show any of the following forms of picture identification as long as they are current:

Driver's license or personal identification card issued by another state. Federal or state government-issued photo identification. U.S. passport. Military identification card with photo. Student identification with photo from a high school or an accredited institution of higher education. Tribal identification card with photo.


Michigan election law anticipates that not all voters will have picture identification. Voters who do not bring picture identification to the polls or do not possess picture identification can vote like any other voter by signing an affidavit. Questions regarding the picture identification requirement can be directed to your local city or township clerk's office.

Michigan Secretary of State Information and Forms